ECA731 - Arts Education Curriculum Study 1
2014 unit information
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
*Dance, and Drama not available in Cloud (online) mode.
(For students enrolled in course E760 only)
|Unit chair:||E Hirsh|
E Hirsh (Burwood (Melbourne))
J Grenfell (Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online))
To complete a sequence of units in the selected arts specialism, students must meet the prerequisites outlined in the guidelines published by the Victorian Institute of Education for each Arts methodology area. The prerequisites are:
• ART which may be the areas of: Art, Craft, Computer-generated Art, Sculpture, Photography, and recognising expertise in materials such as pottery, ceramics, textiles, wood and metal) Major study in relevant area(s) of Art which includes at least one quarter of a year of practical Art content.
• MUSIC (a) Major study in Music which includes Practical Music or (b) Major study in Music together with AMEB Grade VI equivalent or Year 12 Practical music or (c) Major study in Music which includes Practical Music specialising in one or more musical instruments.
• DANCE Sub-major study in Dance or Performance Studies (Dance)
• DRAMA Major or sub-major in drama and/or theatre studies including some practical drama and heater major including THEATRE STUDIES) Sub-major study in Drama, Performance Studies (Drama) or Theatre Studies (including practical Drama)
ECA222, ECA226, ECA230, ECA422, ECA426, ECA428, ECA430, ECA722, ECA726, ECA728, ECA730, ELE203, ELE222, ELE234, ELE401, ELE416, ELE430, ELE432
1 x 3 hour Weekly Practical
Students select the relevant arts curriculum from the following specialisms: Dance, Drama, Music, and Visual Arts in order to complete secondary methodology requirements in that arts discipline area.
For advice contact unit chairs or course advisers.
ECA731 students should note that arts discipline methodology specialisms are available for campus and Cloud (online) study strictly as follows:
• Visual Arts – available at Burwood (Melbourne) or Cloud (online)
• Music - available at Burwood (Melbourne) or Cloud (online)
• Dance – available at Burwood (Melbourne)
• Drama - available at Burwood (Melbourne)
This unit aims to engage in critical discourse and apply a range of inquiry processes in the analysis and evaluation of curriculum initiatives including AusVELS for the Arts (performing arts and visual arts) in the post primary years 7-10 of compulsory education. The unit prepares students to research and apply skills required to design, and develop lesson and unit sequences for the specialist art classroom. Students will develop critical and creative thinking skills, interpersonal communication and intercultural understanding as they analyse and reflect on performing arts and visual arts literacy arts education technologies.
Curriculum Development 50%. Appropriate to the specific arts education area, students design, and develop lesson and unit sequences and devise a range of assessment procedures and evaluation processes. Equivalent to 2500 words.
Portfolio 50%. Appropriate to the specific arts education area, portfolio submissions with ICT based teaching and learning presentations. Equivalent to 2500 words.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.