- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Offered at:||(B, X)|
Trimester 1 (B, X), Trimester 2 (X) and Trimester 3 (B)
|Unit chair:||R Neilsen|
|Incompatible with:||ECL713, ECL714|
|Contact hours:||On-campus students: 2 hours of seminar/workshop per week.|
Off-campus students: a half day study day at the Melbourne Burwood Campus.
|Note: On-campus version and study day subject to demand.|
On completion of the unit students should be able to:
Summarise key issues concerning the teaching and learning of grammar;
Analyze structure of spoken and written samples of their target language at all levels of language;
Highlight linguistic features of texts for teaching purposes, and justify their choice; and
Demonstrate the ability to assess the language ability of ESL/EFL learners at different levels of proficiency and monitor their development through stages.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
• Approaches to the description of language for teaching purposes;
• Language structure and language function
• Words: their formation and meanings, and teaching and learning vocabulary;
• The study of syntax (structure of groups/phrases, clauses and clause complexes), cohesive devices, thematic development, morphology and phonology;
• The teaching of linguistic features in context;
• Description of thematic development of texts and using it to the evaluation of language learners’ texts.
• Analysis of learner interlanguage for diagnostic and teaching purposes.
Analysis of teaching text (2500 words equivalent - 40%); analysis essay including analysis of learner text sample and a discussion of the analytic tools used (3500 words equivalent - 60%).
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Student Contribution Rate***||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2010
** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2009
*** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2008
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.