ECL774 - Learning An Additional Language
2014 unit information
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||Z Golebiowski|
3 hours seminar per week for campus based students.
Note:Study school program at Burwood (melbourne) campus for Cloud (online) enrolled students subject to demand. Campus based version subject to demand.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- error analysis, contrastive analysis and learner language: how the acquired language is studied
- relationship between first and additional language acquisition
- foreign language learning cf. Second language acquisition
- learner variability: Features of the learner (cognitive structure, attitude, age, motivation/engagement, goals, aptitude) which may influence acquisition
- silent period and language production
- cognitive effects of second language acquisition
- features of the sociocultural context of language learning that may influence acquisition
- the experience of language immersion
- features of the second language classroom that may influence acquisition, including feedback, noticing, teacher role, learning strategies
Assignment 1 Learning log, submitted in two stages: Topics 1-3 30% (1,700 words) Topics 4-5 30% (1,800 words)
Assignment 2 Analysis of classroom lesson from language acquisition perspective 40% (2,500 words)
Block, D., (2003) The Social Turn in Second Language Acquisition. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.