EEE401 - Professional Relationships
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Warrnambool, Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
|Unit chair:||J Lang|
J Lang (Burwood (Melbourne))
E El Hachem (Waurn Ponds (Geelong))
V Stevens (Warrnambool)
EEP401 or EEY401. For students enrolled in course E359.3 only
|Incompatible with:||EXE505, EEE505, EXE401|
1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week.
This unit will focus on the functions and roles of assessment in the process of learning and how it may be used to positively support learning. The unit will examine the complexity of assessment from multiple contexts such as international and national testing as well as the practices within the classroom. Preservice teachers will review, refine and develop their knowledge and skills associated with being an assessment literate teacher, which will include, for example:
- critically reflect on the purposes and roles of diverse assessment strategies and their impacts on student learning processes as well as their influence on curriculum and pedagogical practices
- understand how to record and represent students’ assessment data
- analyse external testing data and interpret diverse assessment data and how it informs learning and teaching
- provide feedback on student learning and reflect how feedback informs student learning
- examine how to engage in classroom assessment practices in order to make consistent and comparable judgements of students’ assessment tasks
- understand the role of reporting student achievement within diverse contexts and how to engage parents/carers with their child’s learning
- understand how to design assessment strategies within curriculum to support and improve student learning.
This unit includes a total of 25 compulsory days professional experience. During these days the preservice teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment.
- plan, incorporate and evaluate assessment principles in their pedagogical and curriculum practices.
- teach whole class for at least two lessons a day leading to teaching at least 3 whole days
- attend meetings including a School Council meeting, be involved in yard duty, school activities and any opportunities for engagement with the broader school community.
- attend and participate in parent/teacher (/student) interviews.
- keep a journal (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations, collected documents, participation in school activities and reflections are kept. Preservice teachers will be expected to share their journal with their supervising teachers (Mentors) and appropriate University teaching staff.
Task 1: Diversity in Assessment: Analysing Functions & Roles. Equivalent to 1600 words (40%)
Task 2: Designing Assessment for Learning. Equivalent to 2400 words (60%)
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.