- Study at Deakin
- Life at Deakin
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne)|
Student must be enrolled in course E377, D351 or D347
E377 students must have completed or are completing their Senior Health and Human Development Curriculum Studies
D347 students must have completed or are completing their Secondary Curriculum Studies B for their 2nd teaching method area.
D351 students must have completed or are completing their Secondary Curriculum Studies 2B for their 1st teaching method area.
|Unit chair:||M Ludecke|
Students must have passed EPP305 & must have passed three units in EPP101, EPP102, EPP203, EPP207, EPP304.
15 hours – 3 day intensive
This unit includes 35 days professional experience - 10 days (EPP406A) and 25 days (EPP406B) in a secondary setting.
This is the sixth of the six units in the education studies major. This unit is the final Education Studies Major unit. The unit engages with the transition from student teacher to teacher. Curriculum theory as teachers work is engaged with particular emphasis on curriculum as community and complexity. The students will revisit their professional stance as it has developed from the beliefs articulated in Year 1 through to this final stepping off point. Ethical and legal imperatives in teachers work will be addressed. This will be taught in intensive mode occurring pre ¡V professional experience, during and at the completion. Students will be involved in online communication with staff and peers as they develop their final professional portfolio entries.
This unit includes 35 days professional experience - 2 days per week for 5 weeks and a 25 day block in a secondary setting. During these days the preservice teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment
- plan units of work/whole class program for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school using an appropriate format for extended planning as discussed with supervising teachers
- teach lessons for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school; the equivalent of 2 50 minute lessons per day (one in each method) over the 20 week period.
- observe lessons: equivalent of 1 50 minute lesson in each method, per day, over the duration of the placement.
- become fully involved in the life and operations of the school, as per a beginning teacher
- conduct 3-5 parent/student/teacher interviews.
- keep a journal (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations, collected documents, participation in school activities and reflections are kept. Pre-service teachers will be expected to share their journal with their supervising teachers and appropriate University teaching staff.
The purpose of the 25 day block is to demonstrate the ability to teach for a sustained period of time and consolidate teaching skills. The Deakin ATA should be undertaken during this period. At the conclusion of this placement, the supervising teacher in conjunction with the University teaching staff will be asked to complete the report and indicate whether the preservice teacher is 'Ready to Teach'.
Professional decision making and communication task 40%
Authentic Teacher Assessment 60%
Hurdle Requirement: Assessing the professional experience
For students enrolled in School of Education courses, the professional experience component is assessed primarily by the class-based teacher who advises the Unit Chair. Satisfactory completion of the Professional Experience component is compulsory in order for the student to progress.
Unit Fee Information
Unit fee information available soon