EPS735 - Primary Science and Technology Education
|Year||2016 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||J Cripps Clark|
Must be enrolled in course E762, E764, or E765
Campus: 1 x 4 hour Seminar per week.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
The unit covers the following topics:
- children’s perceptions of scientists and science and children’s alternative science concepts;
- science and design & technologies pedagogies: conceptual change strategies, multi-modal representations;
- linking research literature (including theoretical perspectives) to practice;
- AusVELS and Curriculum Planning – planning and implementing a sequence of science and design and technologies lessons;
- science Investigations – design, measurement, data representation and analysis, and writing in science;
- the nature of science and the relationship between design and technologies and science;
- the literacies of science and the role of representation in learning science; • higher order thinking and reasoning, creativity and imagination;
- resources for a contemporary primary science classroom: the use of ICT to support learning in science and community resources; • assessment, as, of and for learning – diagnostic and formative and summative;
- science conceptual knowledge: including floating and sinking, force and energy, light, heat, animal and plant structure and function, biodiversity, life cycles and animal behaviour, rocks, earth and atmospheric processes, environmental science, sustainability, the nature of science.
- the technology process; and
- safety in science and design and technologies.
Learning Report 50% of assessment 2,500 words (individual) or equivalent
Teaching Report 50% of assessment, 5,000 words - group of two or 2,500 words - individual or equivalent.
Unit Fee Information
All Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), fee paying undergraduate and pre-2016 commencing students
Unit fee information available soon
2016 commencing International and full fee paying postgraduate domestic students
Your units are priced based on the course you are enrolled in. Please refer to the current year's course entry to estimate the unit cost.
You can calculate the cost of each unit by using the following calculation:
Course fee x unit EFTSL value = unit price