ESS444 - Science: Curriculum Study
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Cohort rule:||(For students enrolled in courses D342, D344, D351, E365, E377 and E455 only)|
|Unit chair:||P Hubber|
A sub-major sequence in one area of science, together with a first-year study in another science subject or an approved equivalent.
EME213, EME444, ESS244, ESS744
|Contact hours:||3 hour seminar each week|
Note:This unit is a prerequisite for the biology, chemistry and science curriculum study units.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- Lesson planning in science;
- The nature of science and rationale for teaching it;
- Research into students’ understandings of science and implications for teaching science;
- Contemporary understandings about students’ learning of science;
- Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) structure as it relates to the teaching of science.
- The Nature of Science and implications for the teaching and learning of science – models and representations in science, and argumentation;
- Assessing the development of students’ understandings and skills in science;
- Teaching and learning strategies to support students’ understandings in science;
- Planning and management of practical science learning activities;
- Scientific literacy and literacies of science; and
- Applications of ICT in the science classroom.
1. Presentation of a teaching resource from a science education journal (500 words, 20%).
2. Concept map (500 words or equivalent, 20%).
3. Major assignment requiring the development of a sequence of lessons within the relevant contemporary curriculum document (e.g. Victorian Essential Learning Standards) (3000 words, 60%).
All tasks will be criterion-referenced.
Dawson, C., 2000, Science Teaching in the Secondary School, Longman, Frenchs Forest NSW.
Students will be required to access professional journals such as:
The Australian Science
School Science Review, The Science Teacher, in addition to digital resources.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.