ETS301 - Pedagogy - Middle Years (7-10)
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Warrnambool, Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
|Unit chair:||C Charles|
Students must have completed suitable discipline study units for middle years teaching, and unit enrolment requires approval from the Student Services Office.
Students must be enrolled in E359 course.
EEP301, EPP207, ETP301, ETP302
3 hours per week
Professional Experience Component = 10 consecutive days
This is the third of the five units in the Pedagogy and Curriculum strand. The students will turn their focus to individual learners within the classroom. They will use the broader issues and discourses raised in previous units to inform individual pedagogic planning.
This unit includes 10 days professional experience. During these days the pre‐service teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment.
- identify two learners to focus their attention. Follow these learners across a range of subject areas, classes and learning experiences with the purpose of drawing upon these multifaceted observations to inform their planning in collaboration with the supervisor.
- teach at least two lessons a day for a class, small groups of students or with individuals.
- attend meetings, be involved in yard duty, school activities and any opportunities for engagement with the broader school community.
- keep a teaching portfolio (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations,collected documents, participation in school activities and teaching reflections are kept. Pre‐service teachers will be expected to share their portfolio with their supervising teachers and appropriate University teaching staff. Data collected through portfolio activities will be used in unit assessment tasks.
Interpretations of Pedagogical Approaches to Teaching and Learning, 1500 words, 40%
Pedagogic Noticing, 2500 words, 60%
Professional Experience, 20%
This component is assessed primarily by the supervising classroom teacher in consultation with the pre-service teacher. Satisfactory completion of the Professional Experience component is compulsory in order for the student to progress.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.