EXR790 - Research Design and Development
Final Trimester of offer Trimester 1 2012. From Trimester 2 2012 select EXR791.
|Unit chair:||A Vongalis-Macrow|
Normally, students will have completed at least two credit points of coursework units within the Master of Education or Master of Professional Education and Training and EXR780 Research Perspectives and Practices at Distinction + before they enrol in this unit. Attention to these advised pre-requisites will be at the discretion of Course Co-ordinators.
ContentThis unit is designed to assist participants to develop more detailed knowledge and understanding of the specific research approach(es) that may be appropriate to the inquiries they intend to pursue in their Masters research. In this unit students will have a supervisor appointed, work with the supervisor to develop a research proposal, enhance their ability to plan and conduct research in a specific methodological framework, explore current literature relating to their proposed research topic, and (if necessary) prepare an application for human research ethics approval.
On completion of the unit students will have:
- Read and written about their specific area of research interest;
- Refined a possible research problem or issue;
- Developed understandings of research approach(es) and techniques that are relevant to the proposed project;
- Written a detailed research proposal; and
- Developed a knowledge of requirements for ethics clearances and applied for a clearance (if needed) from the Deakin University Faculty of Arts and Education Ethics Committee.
(1) Students who are going to be writing a Masters research paper or minor thesis should enrol in this unit.
(2) On-line access for communication with the supervisor is highly recommended.
(3) Students in this unit act as relatively independent researchers.
AssessmentThe number, nature and value of tasks is to be negotiated individually with the supervisor. The most common pattern of assessment tasks is a draft research proposal (2000 words) (40%), extension of research proposal (3000 words) (60%), and ethics application where needed.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Student Contribution Rate***||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2010
** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2009
*** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2008
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.