MMP111 - Introduction to Property
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
Trimester 3: Cloud (online)
|Previously coded as:|
1 x 2 hour class, 1 x 1 hour seminar per week
Note:You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
This unit aims to give students a general introduction into the property market and the role property plays in a today’s economy. It introduces the concept of real property and improvements to land; highest and best use, property and the economy; a broad overview of property markets and sub-markets; an introduction to investment, yield and the time value of money; stages of property development and the stakeholders; urban economics and geography. On completion of Introduction to Property students should be able to:
- Place property in the context of the built environment, urban planning, the investment environment, design and construction.
- Appreciate the concept of real property & improvements on land.
- Gain a broad understanding of property markets and sub-markets.
- Be aware of the broad legal and economic aspects of property valuation.
- Appreciate the basic concepts of investment, yield and the time value of money including the essentials of basic financial mathematics.
- Recognise the importance of urban economics and geography in the growth of cities and urban areas.
Assignment 1 2500 words 25%, Assignment 2 2500 words 25%, Examination 2 hours 50%, Hurdle requirement: achieve at least 50% of the available marks in the examination
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.