SEV328 - Water and Wastewater Treatment
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
1 x 2 hours class per week, 1 x 2 hours seminar per week, 2 x 2 hour practical session per trimester. Compulsory campus attendance requirement for all students either at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester or on a single scheduled day during Week 8. Typically Waurn Ponds (Geelong) enrolled students will attend the compulsory activities for this unit at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester and Cloud (online) enrolled students will attend the compulsory activities for this unit on a single scheduled day during Week 8.
The unit will address the following areas:
- Introduction to Water treatment – Historical development of water treatment technology; health and environmental concerns; Evolution of water treatment technology
- Water quality – water pollutant and their sources; physical and chemical quality; characterization of water and sampling; Physical, chemical and microbiological characteristics; Australian Drinking Water guidelines and WHO guidelines for drinking water
- Water treatment processes - coagulation, rapid mixing, flocculation, sedimentation, flotation, filtration, Ion exchange, adsorption, disinfection, aeration, water softening, membrane processes, Iron and Manganese removal, water plant residual management.
- Preliminary and primary wastewater treatment – Wastewater characteristics, pollutant loading, flow measurements, screening, grit removal, primary sedimentation.
- Secondary treatment processes - overview of biological treatment processes, wastewater microbiology, aerobic treatment processes, anaerobic treatment processes, biological nutrient removal, bio-solids – handling, processing, beneficial use.
- Natural treatment systems - pond treatment processes, aquatic treatment systems, land filtration, grass filtration, wetland.
Examination 60%, two assignments (15%, 25%) 40%. To be eligible to obtain a pass in this unit, students must achieve an overall mark of at least 40% in the examination and compulsory attendance is required by all students to unit-specific activities at Waurn Ponds (Geelong). These unit-specific activities may be undertaken either at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester or during a single day of unit-specific activities scheduled during Week 8.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.