SIT740 - Research and Development in Information Technology
1 x 2 hour workshop per week
Online teaching methods require internet access. Please refer to the most current computer specifications.
This unit focuses on the building of knowledge and skills in research and development for Information Technology, in particular:
- Knowledge and skills to survey a given topic through literature review, product review, and interviews;
- Knowledge and skills in critical thinking and problem solving through the analysis, design, development, and evaluation of a research and development topic;
- Knowledge and skills in presentation and documentation through formal presentation of a research and development finding in the workshops and writing of the formal report.
The unit is organised as a number of research and development hot topics; each topic will be led by an active researcher / developer who is an expert on the particular topic. Examples of hot topics are as follows:
- Network and System Security
- Security and Privacy in I.T.
- Cloud Computing
- Mobile Computing
- Machine Learning and Data Mining
- Optimisation and Modelling
1 x survey report 20%, 1 x formal presentation 20% (for off campus students: powerpoint presentation with voice embedded), 1 x final report (including a weekly activity worksheet) 60%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Student Contribution Rate***||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2010
** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2009
*** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2008
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.