Examinations Procedures - Hard copy
1. Notice of intention to submit thesis for examination
This method of submission is no longer available. The following information is for students who are finalsing their existing hard copy submission ONLY.
For current examination procedures and information please see Online examinations.
2. Preparation and submission of examination copies
Preparation of thesis
- Binding - either taped spine or perfect [as in telephone directories]. Loose leaf folders, ring binders and plastic spiral binding will not be accepted.
- Paper standard A4.
- Font not less than 12 point.
- Spacing and line length appropriate to font size.
- Margins - not less than 45mm on the binding side and other margins must be at least 20 mm to allow for trimming.
- Length - should not exceed 50,000 words for a masters thesis or 100,000 words for a doctoral thesis.
- The Thesis Title Page must be inserted as page one of your thesis (not numbered). This must be a single sided document. Please do not add any other information to the title page or change the layout.
- The Candidate Declaration form must be signed, dated and bound into each copy of your thesis after the title page (not numbered). This must be a single sided document. NB: Signatures on all forms must be originals. Photocopied or electronic signatures are not acceptable.
Submission of thesis
- Number of copies - three copies of each volume (and appendices or other materials), should be submitted to the Examinations Officer HDR.
Doctor of Psychology students are required to prepare two copies of the professional research component in addition to three copies of the major investigative project and submit all copies to the Administrative Officer, School of Psychology.
- Submission of Thesis form - one copy signed by both Supervisor and Head of School must accompany the thesis. Note this form is NOT bound into the thesis.
Please note that completed forms and copies of the thesis for examination must be forwarded to:
Examinations Officer HDR
Locked Bag 20000
GEELONG VIC 3220
3. Preparation and lodgement of library copy - electronically
Preparation of thesis
- The Thesis Title Page must be inserted as page one of your thesis (not numbered). Please do not add any other information to the title page or change the layout. Please note this is the same form as step 2.
- One of the following forms must be signed, dated and inserted as page two of your thesis: Access to Thesis A. Access to Thesis B, C and D - cannot be used without the prior approval of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research). Please contact the Examinations Officer HDR if you wish to complete an Access to Thesis B, C or D form.
- The Candidate Declaration form must be signed and inserted as the third page of your thesis (not numbered). Please note this is the same form as step 2.
- Digital Thesis Copyright and Access form - this relates to the copyright of your thesis and accessibility of your thesis via the world wide web. The form cannot be changed in any way and is not bound into the thesis. One electronic copy (PDF) must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Summary of Thesis for Graduation form - not exceeding fifty words, in plain English, signed and dated. This summary should focus on the outcomes of your research. One electronic copy (Word document) of the Summary containing the candidate's name, ID number and course code must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Submission of thesis
The library copy of your thesis is submitted in electronic format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It must be formatted to meet the guidelines as set out above and attached as one single PDF document not secured (preferably PDFA). In addition you are required to email a Digital Thesis Copyright and Access form (PDF) and a Summary of Thesis for Graduation form (Word doc) as detailed above.
Doctor of Psychology students must submit their professional research component and major investigative project in one email attached as two separate PDF documents in addition to two Access to Thesis forms (PDF) (one for each component), Digital Thesis Copyright and Access form (PDF) and Summary of Thesis for Graduation form (Word doc).
- Minor Amendments form (if applicable) - Please note this form is not located on the web. It is individually prepared for those candidates required to make minor revisions to their thesis and sent only to the supervisor along with copies of the examiners' reports. Your supervisor will return the completed and signed form to the Examinations Officer HDR.
Frequently asked questions - Hard copy examination
Flowchart of examination process