Vacation programs offer opportunities into highly sought after graduate programs. Penultimates, 2nd to last year students, should consider applying. Success will give your resume a boost and impress employers.
Vacation programs are?
- unique summer job opportunities offered by medium to large organisations
- usually only available to penultimate (2nd to last) year students
- opportunities for an organisation to test your abilities as potential employees
- applications open in January and some run through until August.
- increases your chance of getting into a graduate program
- teaches you practical workplace skills
- helps you build professional relationships
- provides quality experience for your future job applications and interviews
- aids you in developing career management
Tips for success:
- Identify which organisations you would like to apply for early in trimester 1 and research them:
- Build relationships with the vacation program recruiters
- attend and get ready for Career Fairs, by knowing which organisations you would like to approach
- prepare questions to ask
- Start preparing your application documents early
- use ResumeBuilder to prepare your application
- get expert advice from Careers and Employment
- concentrate on quality applications rather than quantity
- Practice interviewing skills
- use InterviewGold or book an appointment with a Career Counsellor for mock interview practice
Be prepared for a lengthy application process. Vacation programs are competitive. The application process might require you to:
- write a cover letter, resume and application form.
- conduct a phone interview
- conduct a face to face interview or two
- attend an assessment centre
- take tests of your skills, aptitudes and personality type
- See 'applying for jobs' for great resources
Good luck and remember to contact your nearest Careers and Employment office for assistance
Back to Careers and Employment homepage