- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
1. You must carry the following correctly certified photocopies at all times on your person or in your car:
2. Schools may wish to borrow your documents to make further copies for their files. Make sure you get your own certified copies back - not a photocopy. If this is a new school you must also include a fresh Employment Agreement with your name and address and the name of the school already completed.
3. Be at the school early; at least 30 minutes before teaching (new school 40 minutes). Always report to the office when you arrive at a school, and have your papers available.
4. When new to a school, ask if there are any instructions (preferably written) which are particular to CRTs - especially pertaining to discipline. Avoid any physical contact.
5. Never take personal reading material (magazines, novels, newspapers) into the classroom. Schools expect you to be actively engaged with the children, not lazing at the desk. If there is a program, try your best to follow it.
6. Check your yard duty responsibilities. Expect 45-60 minutes in total - usually half of lunch and half (or all) of recess. It does not relate to yard duty times of the classroom teacher you are replacing. Report hazardous situations, bullying or dangerous behaviour to the Principal or CRT Coordinator as soon as you are replaced on duty.
7. When your grade has time release (Art/PE etc) always report to the office. If they have no plans for you, volunteer to take a special teaching group or to tidy up the Library - demonstrate enthusiasm and cheerfulness.
8. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to staff and the Principal. A cheery personality will always gain acceptance (eventually). Body language can make or break you.
9. At the end of the day, leave the room tidy - clean chalkboards, return books to shelves, tidy the teacher’s desk. Make notes for the returning teacher regarding work completed/not completed and reasons why. Try not to leave before 3.45pm.
10. Before leaving, make sure you sign the timesheet at the office and check that you have completed any taxation forms or other school information. Make sure that you collect any teaching documents you may have left with the office earlier in the day.