Building on our proud heritage of migrant services, Diversitat aspires to provide an innovative and high quality response to the changing needs of a culturally diverse community.
GREAT is a volunteer based homework support program aimed at assisting refugee school students with numeracy and literacy skill development. The program aims to empower individuals and communities who are vulnerable and at a disadvantage to reach their full potential.
Volunteers are an integral and valued part of the program and the program could not exist without their involvement.
As a Volunteer Tutor with Diversitat’s GREAT Program, you will be required to perform the following duties:
- Provision of homework support for young people of refugee backgrounds at North Geelong Secondary College and/or at home
- Be sensitive to and informed by, the specific needs of culturally, linguistically and religiously diverse communities
- Provide regular feedback to volunteer coordinator
- A commitment to attend a regular weekly tutor session at an arranged time or if unavailable to inform the volunteer coordinator more than 24 hours in advance
- Provide a nurturing and supportive environment for young people to learn
- Respond to the learning needs of the young people as they arise
- Being aware of issues that may be hindering the students progress e.g. lack of literacy skills, disrupted education
- Report to volunteer coordinator any problems that arise beyond the homework situation
Volunteer time commitment:
1 to 1.5 hours per week
We are looking for a volunteer with the following skills or qualifications to fill the volunteer role:
- Awareness of issues of cultural diversity
- Awareness of issues facing young people with limited English speaking skills
- Ability to clearly explain academic and non-academic information to students
- Empathy to young people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work well in a team situation
- Commitment to undertake and induction program, cross cultural training and tutoring skills program
- Willingness to undertake a Working with Children Check