Top tips for engineers
- Gain work experience that is related to your career goal! You’ll have relevant experience on your graduate resume and you’ll build a professional network of contacts to help you land your dream job.
- Engineers need more than technical skills. Endeavour to develop a range of key employability skills employers seek in graduate engineers. Consider the benefits of part-time work and extra-curricular activities.
- Tailor you resume to each employer’s needs and expectations.
- Show commitment to your profession. Undertake as much professional development as possible and keep up to date with industry information.
- Don’t go into a job interview unprepared. You need to create a positive impression and be able to articulate how you can add value to the employer.
- Consider a postgraduate degree in engineering.
A postgraduate degree will increase your knowledge in a specialised area of engineering and help you to expand your career opportunities and job prospects. Deakin University offers a range of postgraduate study options for engineers.
Postgraduate Engineering Courses:
- Graduate Diploma of Engineering
- Master of Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Professional)
- Master of Water Resources Management (Available T1 2011)
- Higher Degrees by Research
Deakin’s postgraduate engineering program has been developed in collaboration with industry leaders to ensure that the courses are relevant and meet industry demands. For more information about postgraduate study opportunities for engineering at Deakin, please review the latest postgraduate course guide.