Want to know which courses suit you and your aptitudes? Trying to decide on the courses and subjects to open up opportunities for your career goals? Read on!
Options and decisions
Choosing the course that's right for you is all about focusing on your strengths and knowing your goals. Make sure you know what you are really interested in and what you are good at. You are most likely to be successful in an area you enjoy.
Think about where you want to end up. Look at labour market information to identify opportunities and talk to careers advisors about options.
- Consider whether you need a degree, a diploma or post graduate qualifications.
- Research institutions as well as courses. Read handbooks and brochures for details about what is taught and how.
- Check modes of study. Do you want to study full or part time, on campus or off, an overseas semester, an internship or industry placement? Do you have the pre-requisites for entry?
- Sometimes you have more than one clear area of interest. Consider doing a combined degree to keep as many options open for specialisation and to give you an edge through inter-related studies.
- Select majors that are prerequisites for further studies or specialisations necessary for your career, such as units required for CA and CPA or a sequence of units that can be teaching methods in a Graduate Diploma of Education.
Contact a Course Advisor from your faculty for course specific information such as:
- timetabling and unit availability
- advice about transfers into other courses or institutions
- intermission, making changes to your enrolment
- questions regarding course structure and requirements
Electives and how to choose them
You will be able to take a limited number of units from other faculties and disciplines as part of your course. This means you can add knowledge and skills that may contribute to your career aspirations and open up potential for further study in a post graduate programme.
- Consider the job market and employment trends
- Follow interests and aptitudes to select units that will make you stand out.