Coping with a breakup
It doesn't really matter who ended the relationship, when your relationship ends there are strong, painful, and at times conflicting emotions. You may feel sad, angry, guilty, relief, betrayal, rage, lonely, or just bad after a break up. There is no easy way of loosing someone who has been an intimate person in your life, but here are some tips to help you manage.
- Leaving someone feels different from being left. Your ex-partner will not feel exactly the way you do and it's important to understand this.
- Be kind to yourself. When you are feeling vulnerable and doubting yourself, you need to be your own best friend, not your own worst enemy.
- Don't expect too much too soon. It takes time to heal and for your life to catch up with the change that has happened.
- Be with positive people, people who like you for who you are, and can accept that you will be unsettled for a while.
- Find someone to talk to that you can share all your thoughts and feelings with.
Taking it further
Make an appointment with a counsellor