Students' gateway to Campus

Academic progress - Further Options

Returning after Exclusion

If you wish to return to your studies at the end of a period of exclusion, you are required to apply in writing to the Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee or School Academic Progress Committee in your Faculty for re-admission to your course (please refer to the Faculty outcome letter).

Applications to your FAPDC or APC for readmission must be received by the closing date which is indicated in your show cause or academic appeals outcome letter.
Students applying for readmission are required to:

  1. Include your student number, current postal address and indicate which Trimester you wish to resume your studies;
  2. Attach a written statement addressed to The Chair, FAPDC/APC outlining the reasons given for your original exclusion from the course;
  3. Detail the steps you have taken to address these issues and indicate what has now changed in your circumstances that will allow you to successfully complete the requirements of the course and
  4. Provide any other information you consider relevant.

The FAPDC/APC will discuss your application at its next scheduled meeting.

You will be advised in writing of the Committee's decision and, if successful, will be directed to contact your enrolment officer to obtain course advice on unit selection.

Note for international students: you should contact your nearest Australian Diplomatic Mission to check your current student visa status. You may also have the possibility to re-apply as an off-campus student. Deakin International can assist you with further information. 


The Ombudsman Victoria deals with matters relating to incorrect application of procedure and process.

Domestic students:
If you believe that Deakin University has not followed relevant policies and procedures in carrying out the internal academic appeals process (which commenced with the Faculty Committee and concluded with the Academic Appeals Committee) you may make a complaint to:

The Ombudsman Victoria

North Tower, Level 9/459 Collins Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
(03) 9613 6222  FREECALL 1800 806 314  Fax  (03) 9614 0246

International students:
If you are an international student and choose to complain to the Ombudsman after having received the decision from the Academic Appeals Subcommittee, you need to:

  • Inform Deakin International within 10 working days of the date of your outcome letter
  • Provide Deakin International with evidence (reference number) that you have lodged an appeal with the Victorian Ombudsman.

If no such evidence is received by the University within 10 working days, the University must inform the Department of Education (DEEWR) and the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) that you have not achieved satisfactory academic progress and your visa may be cancelled.

The Ombudsman only deals with matters relating to incorrect application of procedure and process. The Ombudsman does not examine any academic-related matters or consider the merits of the decisions made.

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

21st March 2012