Students' gateway to Campus

Academic progress - Faculty or School proposal to exclude

A Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee or School Academic Progress Committee proposal to exclude letter may be sent to you because your academic progress continues to be unsatisfactory. View a sample proposal to exclude letter (89 KB).

Exclusion is generally for a minimum period of one academic year and you will have the right to apply for re-admission into your course after the exclusion period only if you can demonstrate that you will be able to achieve success if readmitted. Find out about returning after exclusion.

International students, please note further implications of an exclusion from your course below.

Your exclusion remains a part of your student record permanently.

You may make a written submission and will be invited to appear before the Faculty or School committee to ‘show cause’ why the proposal to exclude you from your course should not be implemented.

If after the Faculty or School ‘show cause’ hearing the proposal to exclude you remains, you have the right to appeal the decision to the University Appeals Committee.

Important note for International Students

Once you have exhausted all internal avenues for appeal (starting with the Faculty process and ending with Academic Appeals Committee) and if exclusion from your course has been confirmed, the University is required by law to report to the Commonwealth those students who have not achieved satisfactory course progress under Section 19 of the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act), and the ESOS National Code 2007.

The University is also required to report students who have discontinued their course to the DEEWR and Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) and will cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Exclusion from your course means that your student visa is at risk of being cancelled. You are advised to make an appointment with an International Student Adviser to discuss your situation and the implications that a visa cancellation may have for any future study in Australia.

You will receive a non-compliance notice with instructions to report to a DIAC office.

If you feel distressed by this situation you may find it useful to go to the ‘Support’ section on this web site for support services available to you.

What you should do

  • Seek support
  • Provide a written submission– including standard form, submission and supporting documentation
  • Ensure your details are up-to-date
  • Attend a show cause hearing, if you wish

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

21st March 2012