Students' gateway to Campus

Academic progress - Support

The University wants you to be successful and will put in place strategies as early as possible to assist you to improve your academic performance. Unsatisfactory performance may occur for many reasons. It is important to reflect on what has occurred and why. It is also important to take appropriate action quickly. Get proactive.

Getting help

If you are having difficulties with your studies, or if you fail an assignment or a unit, you should seek support as soon as possible.

  • Talk to your lecturer or tutor and find out why you failed and what you could do better next time
  • Check whether you qualify for special consideration for assessment items. Read the information about special consideration 
  • Seek enrolment and course planning advice from the Student Course Advisors within your Faculty. Go to the ‘Planning your studies' section on this web site
  • lnternational students may also consult their lnternational Student Adviser in the Division of Student Life
  • Use the study skills resources and activities provided by the Division of Student Life, including the free language, referencing and exam preparation workshops
  • Talk to the Deakin University Student Association (DUSA), who provide a range of student support services

Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) also provides independent advocacy assistance to students who need help with their appeals and submissions.

Unsatisfactory academic progress and facing exclusion from your course are often highly stressful situations to deal with.

If you feel distressed by the situation you may find it useful to discuss your feelings and concerns with family, friends or professional counsellors. There are a range of support services available:

If you have a health condition, mental health issue or disability that is affecting your study, talk to the staff at the Disability Resource Centre, Division of Equity and Diversity.

What else should you do?

  • Keep your contact details up to date at all times, including your current phone number (and a mobile phone number if possible) and your current postal address *.
  • To update your contact details login to StudentConnect under ‘Update your addresses’, and follow the instructions.
  • Make sure you have the documentation you may need for your show cause or academic appeals hearings.

* This is important when you move house, when you are in between residencies, or even if you go home during University breaks.

back to top

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

21st March 2012