Deakin University Online Communities
Conditions of Use
Your use of Deakin University’s collaborative webspaces indicates your agreement to the following terms and conditions. If you do not accept these terms conditions, you should leave the webspace immediately.
Definitions and Interpretation
In these Conditions of Use, the following definitions and interpretation apply:
- “content” includes any message, data, information, text, music, sound, photos, graphics, code or other material stored in any media and includes, without limitation, embedded content;
- “including” and any variation is not to be construed as a word of limitation;
- “post” includes to post, upload, link to or otherwise publish content on the webspace.
Deakin Conditions of IT Use ...
- You are bound by Deakin University’s Information Technology Use policies and procedures.
- You accept full legal responsibility for the content you post or upload to the webspace.
- Content must not be posted anonymously.
- You must not impersonate any person or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.
- You must not post any content that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, or intended to upset others.
- You must not post content that is unlawful. “Unlawful” includes content which is discriminatory, harassing, racially or religiously vilifying, is posted in contempt of a court order or other legal obligation; or would otherwise violate any applicable law.
- You must not post content for commercial purposes or to solicit business.
- You must not post content that infringes copyright.
- Unless you are a delegated moderator, you must not delete or modify, or attempt to delete or modify, any content posted by another user. If you have a complaint about content posted on the site, you should contact the site owner.
- You must not post content which contains or enables any virus, corrupted data or destructive files.
- You must not use any software or other device to collect or index contents of a Deakin webspace or to collect personal information about other users.
- Deakin assumes no obligation of confidentiality. Users must not post information which is confidential or proprietary information, or which is a trade secret.
- You acknowledge that the contents and opinions posted on Deakin webspaces do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Deakin University and Deakin University assumes no liability for any content or opinion expressed.
Copyright Warranty and Indemnity
- Unless you specify otherwise at the time date of posting, you retain all rights in content you post to a Deakin webspace and you grant to Deakin University a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, fee-free licence to use, copy, edit, publish and distribute, including in the manner set out in clause 15, all content which you post on a webspace, in any media, as well as the right to use your name, likeness and performance.
- You may download and view content or print a copy of material on a webspace for personal, non-commercial use provided you do not modify the content in any way without the permission of the copyright owner.
- If you reasonably believe that a posting contains infringing material, you must notify Deakin University immediately by following the Copyright Complaints Procedure.
Warranty and Indemnity
- You warrant to Deakin University that:
a. content that you post on a Deakin webspace complies with these conditions of Use; and
b. you either own copyright in such content or have received appropriate permission from the copyright owner to post such content.
If you breach the warranty given in clause 17 you must indemnify Deakin University from and against all loss, liability and expense it may suffer or incur directly or indirectly in connection with your breach of warranty.
Details of how Deakin manages personal information is available online.
Users should remember that personal information which identifies them or another individual will be viewed by other users, and may be collected and used by other users of the site. Please exercise caution in posting your personal information.
Users must not post personal information about another person (including, without limitation, addresses, telephone numbers, photographs of individuals) without their consent.
Rights of Deakin University
Deakin does not screen or moderate user generated content unless explicitly noted on the individual webspace. Deakin retains the right, but not the responsibility, to edit, refuse to post or remove any content without further notice if,
a. in its discretion, it determines that such content is it is posted in breach of these terms and conditions; or
b. Deakin receives a ‘take-down’ notice alleging breach of copyright.
Deakin reserves the right to suspend or terminate a user’s access to one or more webspaces if that user repeatedly violates these Conditions of Use.
Limitation of Liability
To the extent permitted by law, Deakin University is not responsible for any loss or damage of any nature whatsoever arising as a direct or indirect result of accessing a Deakin webspace, or its content, or the uploading or downloading of any content to or from the webspace. Where Deakin University is unable to exclude liability, it shall not be liable for any special, indirect or consequential loss.
Individual webspaces may contain additional terms and conditions and, in accessing those webspaces you agree to be bound by their additional terms and conditions.
Deakin reserves the right to amend these Conditions of Use from time to time and amendments will come into effect when the Conditions of Use are posted to a webspace. Users are advised to check the Conditions of Use frequently to be aware of any amendments.