Legislation Committee terms of reference, composition and rules of operation
Download a PDF of the Legislation Committee terms of reference, composition and rules of operation.
Terms of reference
Rules of operation
The Legislation Committee terms of reference were last approved by Council on 12 December 2013.
Legislation Committee terms of reference
The terms of reference of the Legislation Committee shall be:
- To consider proposals and advise the Council on any matters pertaining to the Deakin University Act, university statutes and university regulations.
- To consider and then to recommend to the Council, new and amending university statutes and university regulations as appropriate.
- To advise and make recommendations to Council on matters relating to major governing legislative and statutory instruments.
Legislation Committee composition
The composition of the Legislation Committee shall be:
- Chancellor or nominee
- One external member of Council appointed by Council
- Vice-Chancellor or nominee
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Planning and Integrity) or nominee
- The Chair of Academic Board or nominee
- The student appointed to Council
- Two additional members appointed by Council
The University Solicitor may attend meetings of the Legislation Committee with rights of audience and debate.
Legislation Committee rules of operation
The Committee shall conduct its business subject to the Operating Provisions for Committees of Council and subject to the following additional provisions:
- legislation may be referred to the Legislation Committee by the Chair of the Academic Board, the Vice-Chancellor and the Chancellor's Advisory Committee
- if the Legislation Committee considers that legislation is not appropriate for recommendation to the Council, it shall refer the legislation back to its originator with details of its concerns
- amendments to legislation confined to changes to nomenclature and amendments to Regulation 5.2(1)–Academic Awards will be recommended directly to Council by Chair of the Academic Board, the Vice-Chancellor and the Chancellor's Advisory Committee and reported to the Committee.
Back to top
Back to the Legislation Committee