Arts Education Discipline Group
About the staff
About the group
The Arts Education discipline group aims to promote the need to research the role that the arts play in students' intellectual, physical, social and personal development, expanding student's awareness of cultural contexts and inclusiveness, and catering for areas of disadvantage and disability in education across all curricula.
Deakin University has the widest spread of expertise across the field of arts education of any Victorian university. The members of Arts Education discipline group at Deakin University represent the visual arts, media, music, dance and drama.
As well as maintaining high standards in teaching and in the development of innovative forms of learning media in pre-service and continuing teacher education in the Arts, the group aims to support research in the teaching and learning of the Arts. The Group's research areas incorporate research across primary, secondary and tertiary levels, and focus on individual arts disciplines as well as arts integration.
The presently-constituted Arts Education discipline group within the School of Education, Faculty of Arts and Education includes members of the former Arts in Education Faculty Research Group which was formed in 2003
Research projects undertaken by members of the Group have included:
- Patterns of Drama Teaching in Ten Primary Classrooms
- The Utilisation of Quality Literature within Early Years Programs
- Using African music for teaching the elements of music and for cross-cultural learning in teacher education
- The development of the "Deakin Arts Education Centre in Second Life" which was funded through a 2007 Strategic Teaching and Learning Grant.
Research activities with an online presence being undertaken by the Arts in Education Discipline Group and its members include the following:
- Deakin's Arts Education Centre in Second Life (Project leaders: Jenny Grenfell and Jo Raphael)
- Dance Education (Jacqui Dreessens)
- African Music in Schools and Teacher Education (Dawn Joseph)
Visit the staff profile pages for more details.