Emergency and crisis information

Emergency phone numbers

Ambulance 000 (dial 0 first if on campus)
Fire Brigade 000 (dial 0 first if on campus)
Police 000 (dial 0 first if on campus)
Security (Deakin) Dial 222 (if on campus) or 1800 062 579
Poison 13 11 26

What to do in an emergency

Information for

24 hour support and crisis

CASA (Centre Against Sexual Assault)

DirectLine (Drug and Alcohol helpline)

Gambler's help

Gay / Lesbian switchboard

The Switchboard provides free, confidential and anonymous telephone counselling, referral and information service for the Victorian and Tasmanian gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) community and its supporters. 1800 184 527

Kids helpline

Kids helpline is a counselling service for children and young people aged between 5 and 25 years. 1800 551 800


Mensline Australia is a dedicated service for men with relationship and family concerns. 1300 78 99 78


Lifeline is a 24 hour crisis hotline. 13 1114

Suicide helpline

Suicideline provides free professional, anonymous support, 24 hours a day, seven days a week across Victoria. 1300 651251

Telephone interpreter service

For people who do not speak English or have English as a second language. 13 14 50

Domestic Violence Crisis Services

Emergency accommodation

For advice and information about emergency accommodation, please visit the Off Campus Housing Service.

After hours medical services

Deakin University students living within a 50 kilometer radius of Melbourne can call Home Visiting Doctor on 9429 5677. The service provides doctors who visit you at home every night, weekends and public holidays, medicare card holders are bulk billed, International students are required to pay and then claim. If you wish a report will be sent to the Medical Centre on campus where ongoing care can be provided by a nurse or doctor if necessary.

Some medical clinics open into the early hours of the evening and limited hours on weekends. See M for medical practitioners in the Yellow Pages.

The Australian hospital system consists of both public and private hospitals. 24 hour accident and emergency treatment is available from public and some private hospitals.

City hospitals can be located under H in the in the Yellow Pages or Department of Human Services Victoria web site.

Country hospitals can also located under H in the local telephone directory or Department of Human Services Victoria web site.


Details to provide

  • your name
  • campus address
  • type of emergency
  • exact location of the emergency on campus
  • if people are injured
  • how many people are injured
  • nature of illness (if a medical emergency)


Information about...

Useful links