Welcome to the School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences and congratulations on receiving your offer to study at Deakin University.
The information provided below will assist you in enrolling for the upcoming academic year.
Please read the information carefully and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact a course advisor
We wish you well for your studies.
Listed below are course grids and information to help you plan your enrolment for the entire duration of your course.
- Each student should have a course structure that they need to refer to. Common course grids are provided in the course sections below, or you can make an appointment with a course advisor to help you create one.
- You may also wish to use a course plan template to draft your own course plan, so you have a very clear overview of the units you need to enrol in each trimester of each year and when you are going to complete your course.
- Students who have graduated from Deakin College (formerly MIBT) should make an appointment with a Course Advisor to check their course plans and to ensure that the credits from their Diploma course have been awarded correctly.
How do I choose electives?
Option 1 – Choose a Major
- It is not mandatory to undertake a major sequence but it is highly recommended.
- Majors can be selected from within the Faculty of Health or any other Faculties, subject to availability and pre-requisites.
- Students who wish to undertake majors from other Faculties will need to refer to the course's handbooks, for example, Bachelor of Commerce for Business majors, Bachelor of Arts for Arts majors or Bachelor of Science for Science majors.
- If you wish to undertake a major, please ensure you enrol into the 'unit set' via studentconnect to avoid graduation issues later.
Option 2 – Undertake additional units from the areas being majored in
In addition to the units listed in the majors, the Faculty of Health offers a number of other level 1, 2 and 3 health units related to exercise and nutrition study areas. Students undertaking majors in these areas may like to take some of these additional units as electives to strengthen their knowledge and skills (subject to campus availability and having met any pre-requisite requirements if applicable).
These additional units can be found in Deakin's handbook.
Using the 'Search for a unit' link in the handbook, students can find the units by typing one of the following options into the 'Enter a unit code' field: (NOTE: If the screen appears blank after 'go' has been selected, scroll down to find a list of units) OR use the 'Advanced unit search'.
- HSH: Units related to health promotion
- HSE: Units related to exercise
- HSN: Units related to nutrition and food studies
- HPS: Units related to psychology
Option 3 - Undertake units of interest as electives
Alternatively, students may take any level 1, 2 or 3 Deakin unit that they would like to study as an elective (subject to course rules, campus availability and having met any pre-requisite unit or cohort requirements if applicable). It must be noted that some units within the University are only available to students in selected courses.
Students must keep in mind that they may only study a maximum of 10 credit points at level 1 and that only a maximum of 8 credit points of electives can be studied from outside of the Faculty of Health.
Students can search for a complete listing of units offered throughout Deakin via the online handbook. Using the 'Search for a unit' link in the handbook type one of the following options into the 'Enter a unit code' field: (NOTE: If the screen appears blank after 'go' has been selected, scroll down to find a list of units) OR use the 'Advanced unit search'.
- A: All Arts units offered by the Faculty of Arts and Education
- E: All Education units offered by the Faculty of Arts and Education
- H: All units offered by the Faculty of Health
- M: All units offered by the Faculty of Business and Law
- S: All units offered by the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Technology
H315 Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences course grid (PDF, 29.3 KB)
H315 Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences information booklet (PDF, 271.3 KB)
List of commonly selected major sequences for H315 (PDF, 48.5 KB)
Course grids with commonly selected major sequences
Food Science major (PDF, 29.9 KB)
Exercise Science major (PDF, 36.9 KB)
Health Promotion major (PDF, 30.2 KB)
Physical Activity and Health major (PDF, 30.2 KB)
Food Science major and Master of Dietetics pre-requisite units (PDF, 31.3 KB)
Master of Dietetics H315 pre-requisite units course grid
D301 Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences/Bachelor of Commerce (Management) course grid - 4 year sequence (PDF, 31.9 KB)
D301 Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences/Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing) course grid - 4 year sequence (PDF, 31.8 KB)
H343 Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science course grid (PDF, 29.1 KB)
H343 Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science information booklet (PDF, 301.5 KB)
List of commonly selected major sequences for H343 - Melbourne Burwood (PDF, 73.7 KB)
List of commonly selected major sequences for H343 - Geelong Waurn Ponds (PDF, 65.6 KB)
H343 enrolment - Powerpoint presentation (PPTX, 2.1 MB)
Course grids with commonly selected major sequences
Exercise Science - ESSA Sequence (PDF, 37.1 KB)
Exercise Physiology + Sports Nutrition major (PDF, 29.7 KB)
Exercise Physiology major (PDF, 29.2 KB)
Sports Nutrition major (PDF, 30.3 KB)
Nutrition major (PDF, 29.9 KB)
Sports Coaching major (PDF, 29.9 KB)
Physical Activity and Health major (PDF, 36.3 KB)
Food Studies major (PDF, 30.1 KB)
Health Promotion major (PDF, 29.9 KB)
Master of Dietetics pre-requisite entry units (PDF, 30.6 KB)
Nutrition major and Master of Dietetics pre-requisite units
- ESSA Sequence - Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Certificate III in Fitness - Physical Activity Australia - Burwood (Melbourne)
Certificate IV in Fitness - Physical Activity Australia - Burwood (Melbourne)