Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts

Course summary for local students

Year2016 course information
Award granted

Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts

CampusOffered at Burwood (Melbourne)
Length4 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Next available intake

March (Trimester 1), July (Trimester 2), November (Trimester 3)

CSP annual fee (indicative) - commencing 2016$6,359 - Commonwealth Supported Place (HECS)
Full fee paying annual fee - commencing 2016Not applicable
Faculty contacts

Arts and Education Student Services and Enrolment Enquiries

Burwood (Melbourne) 
Tel 03 9246 8100

VTAC Codes1400514181 - Burwood (Melbourne), Commonwealth Supported Place (HECS)
CRICOS course code073789J
Deakin course code D347

Course sub-headings

Course overview

Deakin's Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts degree will introduce you to the knowledge and competencies required by secondary teachers as well as providing you with a broad understanding of the practice of educators. The course will also give you in-depth knowledge in one or more fields of study within the Bachelor of Arts.

As part of the teaching component of this course you will learn key skills required for working as a secondary teacher through studying topics such as teacher-learner identity, policy, schooling and society, how to create learning-teaching environments, pedagogy, understanding children and adolescents, and professional identity and curriculum. You are required to complete a minimum of 80 days supervised school experience over the duration of the course, providing hands-on experience in a classroom setting.

Studies in the arts will provide you with opportunities to develop skills of critical and systematic thinking; an imaginative understanding and appreciation of the theory and practice of the social sciences; enhanced cultural sensitivity and understanding; skills and knowledge relevant to employment in the modern workforce and familiarity with the use and importance of information technology in learning and employment. All of these skills will complement the teaching profession.

Professional recognition

This program is accredited by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) as an initial teacher education program against the Australian professional standards for teachers. Graduates of this course who are intending to apply for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) may be required to provide further information. You are advised to check the VIT registration requirements carefully.

Fees and charges

Equivalent Full Time Student Load (EFTSL)
EFTSL is the standard annual full time load. Eight credit points is considered a standard full time load for one year. Each unit you study has an EFTSL value. You can add these together to calculate your study load each year. Depending on enrolment, you may be enrolled in more than or less than the one EFTSL each year.

Commonwealth supported place (CSP)
Under the present legislation, a Commonwealth supported place is one for which the University receives some Government funding. Students enrolled in these places are required to contribute part of their course costs. To be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place you must be an Australian citizen, or New Zealand citizen or holder of a permanent visa who will be residing in Australia for the duration of your study.

Full-fee paying (FFP)
A full-fee paying place is one which the University does not receive any Government funding. Students enrolled in these places contribute the full cost of their course.

Domestic full-fee paying places are available to Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens or holders of a permanent visa.

Fee information for all domestic students
The current Federal Government has proposed a number of major reforms for the higher education sector (see the Higher Education and Research Reform Amendment Bill 2014), including fee deregulation in respect of domestic student fees. This legislation may be reintroduced to the parliament in the latter half of 2015 and if passed, will impact on the CSP and FFP course fees applicable in 2016.

* Therefore, the indicative annual course fee shown is provided as a guide only. It has been calculated on the basis of a typical enrolment of a student undertaking the course in 2015, and reflects the cost involved in undertaking full-time study within the specified discipline. The 2016 CSP and FFP course fees may change if the Commonwealth Government's proposed fee deregulation and reforms legislation is passed.

The actual fees charged by Deakin University, will depend on the individual unit discipline and may vary from the indicative course fee cited, particularly if units are chosen from a number of disciplines. The cost of each unit offered in 2016 can be viewed from the Unit Search. Should a change in Government policy affect the cost of units offered, the website will be updated as soon as possible.

The fees per unit/credit point may be otherwise subject to an annual increase due to rises in the cost of course delivery and service.

This information is provided as a guide only. No representation is made that the information provided is current or accurate. Deakin assumes no responsibility for persons relying on indicative course fees to calculate the total future cost of their course. Applicants can email au for more information about 2016 fees.

Fee payment assistance
Australian citizens or holders of a permanent humanitarian visa, enrolling in a CSP or FFP, may be eligible for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP respectively. For more information about HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP visit the Study Assist website.

Career opportunities

As a graduate of this course you will be eligible for employment as a secondary teacher in Australia and overseas. You will be able to teach in secondary schools from junior secondary to VCE levels as well as gain employment in community and youth performance companies, TAFE and adult education institutions, private academies and agencies, community arts offices, government departments and private industries and services.

As a graduate of the Bachelor of Arts component of this course you will be well placed to enter a variety of employment fields after developing in your studies abroad range of specialised and general skills, often demanded by today's employers. Depending on the subjects chosen you may find work in fields such as media and communication, photography, politics and policy studies, history, languages and visual arts.

For more information go to My Course My Career

Course rules

To qualify for the award of Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts, students must complete 32 credit points as follows:


Students must complete 16 credit points of units comprising:

  • 10 core units
  • 2 curriculum study units in a first teaching method area
  • 2 curriculum study units in a second teaching method area
  • 2 electives

The Education component of this course includes 80 days of supervised professional experience.


Students must complete 16 credit points of units comprising:

  • An approved Arts major sequence of at least 8 credit points
  • No more than 6 credit points of units at level 1
  • And either:
  1. A further 8 credit points of Arts units; or
  2. A further 4 credit points of Arts units plus 4 credit points of Mathematical Modelling units; or
  3. A further 4 credit points of Arts units plus 4 credit points of Psychology units; or
  4. A further 2 credit points of Arts units plus 6 credit points of Photography or Visual Arts units, or the equivalent of 6 credit points of Music units by cross-institutional enrolment at Box Hill Institute.

(Note: only students undertaking Psychology or Mathematics as their second teaching method area are permitted to take units from outside the Faculty of Arts and Education.)

Detailed course rules

Satisfactory completion of this course requires students to choose Arts units that are in recognised areas of teaching method study.

- For the 8 credit point major sequence, students must choose an approved Arts major recognised for discipline study in one of the following first teaching method areas:

  • Arts (Major in Photography or Visual Arts)
  • Dance (Major in Dance)
  • Drama (Major in Drama)
  • English (Major in one of Children's Literature or Literary Studies)
  • LOTE (Major in one of Arabic, Chinese, Indonesian or Spanish)*
  • Media (Major in one of Film Studies or Media Studies)**
  • SOSE (Major in one of Anthropology, Australian Studies, History, Philosophy, or Politics and Policy Studies)
  • TESOL (Major in one of Arabic, Chinese, Indonesian or Spanish)

(Note: Music, Mathematics and Psychology may not be taken as first teaching methods in this course because these are not approved major sequences within the Bachelor of Arts).

*Note: Students selecting LOTE as a first teaching method who do not have a background of Year 12 studies in the language must select a further 2 credit points of study in the language of their major in following the rule below.

**Note: Continuing students enrolled 2011-2015 may take Photography as a Media teaching method area.

- Choose 8 further Arts units, which must include discipline studies in one of the following second teaching method areas:

1. 4 credit points in one of the following discipline areas, plus a further 4 credit points of any Arts units:

  • Arabic (TESOL)
  • Chinese (TESOL)
  • Dance
  • Drama
  • Film Studies (Media)
  • Literary Studies (English)
  • Children's Literature (English)
  • Mathematical Modelling
  • Media Studies (Media)
  • Psychology
  • Indonesian (TESOL)
  • Spanish (TESOL)

2. 4 credit points in one of the following discipline areas, plus a further 2 credit points in another one of the following discipline areas, plus a further 2 credit points of any Arts units:

  • Anthropology (SOSE)
  • Australian Studies (SOSE)
  • History (SOSE)
  • Philosophy (SOSE)
  • Politics and Policy Studies (SOSE)
  • Sociology (SOSE)

3. 6 credit points in one of the following discipline areas plus a further 2 credit points of any Arts units:

  • Music - Box Hill (for continuing students enrolled between 2011-2015)
  • Photography (Art)
  • Visual Arts (Art)

4. 8 credit points in one of the following discipline areas:

  • Arabic (LOTE - Only for students who completed the language at Year 12)
  • Chinese (LOTE - Only for students who completed the language at Year 12)
  • Indonesian (LOTE - Only for students who completed the language at Year 12)
  • Spanish (LOTE - Only for students who completed the language at Year 12)
  • Music - Box Hill (students commencing 2016)

Note: native speakers of a language other than English can study two teaching methods and have LOTE recognised as a third teaching method area. Contact Student Services for advice on this option.

Course structure

Year 1

EPP101Teacher-Learner Identity

EPP102Learning-Teaching Communities

6 credit points of Arts units chosen in accordance with the detailed course rules for your selected teaching method areas.

Year 2

EEL201Literacy Across the Curriculum


6 credit points of Arts units chosen in accordance with the detailed course rules for your selected teaching method areas.

Year 3

EEH531Promoting Student Wellbeing

EPP304Ways of Knowing Children and Adolescents

4 credit points of Arts units to complete major sequence

2 credit points of curriculum study units in second teaching method area (see below)

Year 4

EEM401Numeracy Across the Curriculum

EPP305Policy, Schooling and Society

EPP406Professional Identity and Curriculum Work

EXC440Teaching for Diversity

2 credit points of Education electives (see below)

2 credit points of curriculum study units in first teaching method area (see below)


(i) EEM401 is a cloud (online) unit

(ii) All units are 1 credit point

Course map

Teaching method area

Discipline study units

Curriculum study units


Photography (students commencing 2016)

Visual Arts












Children's Literature

Literary Studies











Mathematical Modelling




Media Studies

Film Studies

Photography (continuing students enrolled 2011-2015)




By cross institutional study at Box Hill Institute only







Studies of Society and Environment (SOSE)


Australian Studies



Politics and Policy




Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)







* Students choosing any two of Art, Dance, Drama and Music as their two teaching method areas should also undertake curriculum study units ECA435 and ECA436 for their second method area.

Recommended Education Electives

ECP303Child Protection

EEG402Teaching in a Global World

EET330Teaching with New Technologies

ELL101Language: Speech and Sounds *

ELL102Language: Words and Structure *

ELL201Language and Social Contexts *

ELL202Texts Across Cultures *

ESM438Evaluating Children's Progress

ESP401Student Behaviour Management and Welfare

ESP437Teaching for Interpersonal Development

* Students undertaking English or TESOL as teaching method areas are particularly recommended to take one or more Linguistics electives.

Contact hours

For each unit of study students are expected to participate in at least three hours of formal contact each week of trimester. A minimum of six hours of study time in addition to the formal contact is also expected for each unit each week.

Entry requirements - general

Deakin University offers admission to undergraduate courses through a number of Admission categories.
In all categories of admission, selection is based primarily on academic merit as indicated by an applicant's previous academic record.
For more information on the Admission Criteria and Selection Policy visit The Guide.

Entry requirements - specific

Applicants are required to have successfully completed the Victorian Certificate of Education or equivalent.

 Units 1 and 2 – two units (any study combination) of general mathematics or mathematical methods or units 3 and 4: any Mathematics. Units 3 and 4 – a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or 25 in any other English other than EAL.

All applicants must meet any prerequisites and extra requirements specified for their choice of major discipline sequence selected from Arts (see Deakin entry for Dance, Drama, Media Arts or Visual Arts) and for Music must have VCE music or a minimum of Grade 6 Practical (AMEB). Telephone (03) 9246 8100 for further information.

Non Year 12 Form: VTAC Personal History online and GPA. Applicants must lodge a VTAC Personal History online (see page 23) with complete supporting evidence of academic results, references and certificates, relevant work or community experience, and information regarding motivation and commitment to study. Late applicants or change of preference by 10 December.

Credit for prior learning - general

The University aims to provide students with as much credit as possible for approved prior study or informal learning which exceeds the normal entrance requirements for the course and is within the constraints of the course regulations. Students are required to complete a minimum of one-third of the course at Deakin University, or four credit points, whichever is the greater. In the case of certificates, including graduate certificates, a minimum of two credit points within the course must be completed at Deakin.

You can also refer to the Credit for Prior Learning System which outlines the credit that may be granted towards a Deakin University degree.

How to apply

Applications for campus study for Trimester 1 must be made through the Victorian Tertiary Admission Centre (VTAC). For more information refer to VTAC (external site).

Working with Children Check

The Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic.) requires a person who engages in child-related work, as defined in the Act, to obtain an assessment notice under the Act, known as a Working with Children Check (WWCC). The Act is administered by the Department of Justice:

School experience placements in schools in the course of a university degree are “child-related work”. Under the Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic.), administered by the Department of Justice, a student teacher must obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) before commencing school experience placements in a school. The WWCC must remain current throughout the course. It is an offence under the Act to engage in school experience without holding a WWCC.

Students will not be allowed to commence school experience in any school in Victoria until a Working with Children Check is obtained. The Department of Education has requested that on the application form a student nominates the University as the (or one of the) employers. The University will then be sent a copy of the assessment notice. Because the University needs to assure a school that a student placed at the school has a current Working with Children Check, each student must give their authority to provide the assurance - a student will be required to sign an authority for the University to inform a school that a WWCC has or has not been obtained.

While the University will hold on file documentation relating to the WWCCs obtained by students engaged in school experience, it is each student’s responsibility to ensure that he or she can produce the WWCC card to the school upon request and to keep the WWCC current under the Act.

Students are required to apply for a WWCC through a participating Australia Post outlet (which can be found on the Australia Post website or the Department of Justice website) and provide proof to the faculty that the WWCC has been undertaken.

Should a student fail to obtain a WWCC, practical training in a school will not be provided, and as practical training is a requirement for completion of a teaching degree, the student may be unable to complete the degree. Should such a situation arise, the University will provide advice on options for tertiary study.

It is the responsibility of students undertaking placements outside Victoria to enquire about and, where necessary, to meet any similar legislative or other requirements concerning working with children.

Professional Experience requirements

Students are required for registration purposes (and for the award of the degree) to have completed over the duration of their course a minimum of 80 days of supervised school experience. Students should ensure they are conversant with the Standards for Graduating Students as required by the Victorian Institute of Teaching. The school experience is organised by the Professional Experience Office and students do not make contact with schools regarding placements under any circumstances. Students are required to comply with the on-line instructions regarding enrolment/re-enrolment in school experience; failure to enrol/re-enrol jeopardises a student’s school experience placement. 

Students should note that it is a requirement of the course that school experience is undertaken in conjunction with their curriculum studies and Education Major studies and during the time tabled dates unless, in exceptional circumstances, alternative arrangements are negotiated and agreed to in writing with the Professional Experience Office. Students should note that normally any paid or unpaid work undertaken in a school as an unqualified teacher/teacher’s aide will not be recognised for credit transfer for supervised school experience for this course. Students may be required to complete the school experience component of the course outside the academic year.

A satisfactory level of teaching competence during supervised school experience is required for award of the degree. An “unsatisfactory” result on any school experience placement will be referred to the Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee.

Graduates of an accredited teaching course should note that teacher registration is required in Victoria and is administered by the Victorian Institute of Teaching under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic.). Prospective students should acquaint themselves with the requirements for registration in Victoria or in any other relevant location. These requirements include the ability to satisfy the Standards for Graduating Students (available at:

Professional Experience enrolment

Students need to carefully follow the instructions correctly when enrolling or re-enrolling online in school experience units. Failure to enrol or re-enrol correctly jeopardises a student’s school experience placement and this could lead to a delay in the award of the degree. Students must follow Faculty rules in relation to the number of days of school experience to be completed for each placement as per the Professional Experience Handbook (handbook is available at Students should note that a ‘day’ constitutes a whole school day (not part thereof).

Information contained in the Handbook is updated annually and is a summary of Faculty rules in relation to school experience.

Schedule of School Experience units

Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)

EPP101Teacher-Learner Identity [Coursework only from 2015]

EPP102Learning-Teaching Communities


EPP304Ways of Knowing Children and Adolescents

EPP305Policy, Schooling and Society

EPP406Professional Identity and Curriculum Work

To pass the units listed above pre-service teachers must successfully complete the unit work assignment component, submitting and passing the unit’s associated assessment pieces; and successfully complete the appropriate professional experience days based in school/s.

The professional experience component is assessed primarily by the supervising classroom teacher in consultations with the pre-service teacher. Satisfactory completion of the professional experience component within each education studies/professional experience unit is compulsory in order for the student to progress.