Master of Architecture (Research)

Course summary for local students

Year2016 course information
Award granted Master of Architecture (Research)

Waterfront (Geelong)

Cloud (online)Yes
Length2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
CSP annual fee (indicative) - commencing 2016No fees defined
Full fee paying annual fee - commencing 2016No fees defined
Faculty contacts

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
School of Architecture and Built Environment
Tel 03 5227 8301

LevelHigher Degree Research
CRICOS course code070375M
Deakin course code S800

Course sub-headings

Course overview

The Master of Architecture (Research) permits individual research investigations in the architecture discipline.  The course is normally completed in 1 - 2 years of full time study (or equivalent) and will suit graduates seeking to extend and deepen their knowledge on a chosen topic through independent, sustained and academically-supervised research. Students will develop advanced skills in critical thinking, analysis and research methodologies under the supervision of internationally recognised supervisors as they produce a written thesis dissertation of approximately 60,000-80,000 words.   The School of Architecture and Built Environment has specialisms in socio-cultural ecology, tectonic ecology and construction ecology themes. Students can choose topics from various areas including architectural history and theory, environmental building science, professional practice and parametric modelling and should contact the School for guidance on developing research proposals when making their applications. Information regarding Scholarships, entry requirements and application procedures can be found on the Deakin website.

Entry requirements - general

Applicants must have demonstrated evidence of a high standard of research ability. This is normally an Honours year to H2B (60%+) standard or a research masters degree. However, other evidence of research ability may be considered, and could include a thesis as part of an international undergraduate degree or coursework masters; relevant refereed publications; research awards; or research experience. For more information please visit the Research Services Division - Higher Degrees by Research page.

How to apply

Applicants must apply via the Higher Degree by Research website.