Bachelor of Arts
Public Relations - unit set code MJ-A000021
Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool, Cloud (Online)
The Public Relations major sequence is concerned with the management of communication between people, agencies and various publics. Students will study such areas as crisis and issues management, organisational public relations and public relations campaigns; and will develop the necessary skills for effective public relations.
On successful completion of the Public Relations major sequence, students should have the following discipline-specific skills:
- an ability to explain the role of public relations in society;
- an ability to differentiate between the various areas of public relations;
- an ability to explain the legal and regulatory context of public relations;
- an ability to prepare public relations strategies using traditional, internet and social media tactics;
- the ability to write and communicate for public relations practice across a broad range of professional contexts.
|ALR103||Introduction to Public Relations***|
|ALR104||Strategic Communication and Writing|
Select 6 credit points, including at least 2 credit points at level 2 and at least 2 credit points at level 3 from the following:
Level 2 and Level 3
|ALR276||Ethical Communication and Citizenship|
|ALR383||Lobbying, Advocacy and Public Opinion|
|ALR206||Social Media Public Relations*|
|ALR279||Public Relations Management|
|ALR300||Public Relations Campaigns and Practice(2 credit points)|
* The Burwood (Melbourne) campus offering of ALR206 is restricted to A325 and A328 course enrolled students only.
** ALR207 also offered in Trimester 3.
***ALR103 is also offered in Trimester 3 at Waterfront (Geelong) only. It is offered by intensive study in Trimester 3.