Bachelor of Arts
Return to course summary
Sociology - unit set code MJ-A000019
Sociology is the study of society and social relations. Thinking sociologically allows the individual to step outside the taken for granted processes of everyday living towards examining the processes which create, maintain and change social groups in society.
On successful completion of the Sociology major sequence, students should have the following discipline-specific skills:
- an ability to explain key sociological concepts such as socialisation, modernity, postmodernity, gender, social class, race and ethnicity; an ability to identify core theoretical understandings in sociology
- an ability to apply sociological analysis to a range of contemporary issues such as health, family life, deviance and the media
- an ability to understand conflict, cohesion and social change in societies
- an ability to explain the systems, practices and technologies of control and their historical transformation in Western cultures
- an ability to recognise the impact of social policy on social life
- an ability to critically assess the work of other social researchers.
|ASC101|| Introduction to Sociology A (B, G, X) |
Level 2 and 3
|ASC102|| Introduction to Sociology B (B, G, X) |
Select 6 credit points, including compulsory core units ASC308 and ASC250 and 2 level 3 units from the following:
|ASC346|| Sociology of the Media and Popular Culture (B, G, X) |
|ASC308|| Sociology and the Modern World (B, G, X) (core unit)|
|ASC320|| Sex, Crime and Justice in An Electronic Age (ONLINE) *|
|ASC207|| Consumer Society and Sustainable Futures (B, X) |
|ASC304|| Culture and Control: Boundaries and Identities (B, G, X) |
|ASC206|| Sociology of Health (G, X) |
|ASC233|| International Migration and Multicultural Societies (B, G, X) |
|ASC250|| Social Research: An Introduction (B, G, X) (core unit)|
|ASC287|| Love, Sex and Relationships (B, G, W, X) |
|ASC321|| Sociology Internship (B, G, W) **|
Note: The following may be taken in addition to the prescribed major sequence.
Trimester 1 (B, G, W, X) or trimester 3 (X)
|ASC160|| Introduction to University Study (B, G, W, X) |
* ASC320 is offered in the wholly online teaching mode - there will be no face to face teaching.
** ASC321 - Internship units are normally undertaken in third level (or equivalent) and are subject to completion of specified prerequisite units and special application requirements. Interested students should contact Arts and Education Student Support and Enrolment Enquiries on their campus for further information.
Return to course summary