Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communication)
Return to course summary
Journalism - unit set code MJ-A000014
This area of study provides students with the skills and knowledge to become qualified journalists in the broadcast and print media. Initially, studies focus on the mass media and the extent to which journalists live up to the ethical standards set both by their profession and the expectations of the public. Comparative studies focus on the role of journalists and the news media in different political systems and cultures. Students will gain an understanding of the theoretical and practical elements of radio and television journalism, and the role radio plays as a communication medium. The laws of defamation and other legal constraints to which the profession of journalism is subject are examined in the final level. Students will also develop research techniques, practical skills and an understanding of the methods and techniques required for specialist writing. The writing component within the course is intensive, to bring students' work to a standard that can be published in a daily newspaper or mainstream magazine.
On successful completion of the Journalism sequence of units students should have the following skills:
- an ability to write in academic style with adequate referencing
- an ability to identify, research, write and construct stories suitable for print, broadcast and online media
- an ability to interview for print, broadcast and online media and select material for inclusion in stories
- an ability to analyse the social role of journalism both nationally and internationally and identify the theoretical issues raised by news, current affairs and feature publications and programs
- an ability to appreciate the role of the production process in any media product
- an ability to work in teams and to develop presentation skills in a group setting.
Level 1 Trimester 2Level 2Trimester 1
Trimester 2Level 3 Trimester 1
|ALJ318|| Broadcast Journalism (Radio) |
Trimester 1 or trimester 2 or Trimester 3
|ALJ319|| Broadcast Journalism (Television) |
|ALJ321|| Journalism Internship *|
|ALJ322|| Journalism Internship B *^|
* ALJ321, ALJ322 - Internship units are normally undertaken in third level (or equivalent) and are subject to completion of specified prerequisite units and special application requirements.
^ALJ322 - this unit may only be taken by students who complete ALJ321 and is not counted towards the Journalism major.
^^ALJ111 also available in trimester 3 Cloud (online) only.
Return to course summary