ACI301 - Shifting Focus: Experimental Photography and Creative Practice
|Year||2015 unit information|
This unit will be offered at the Waterfront (Geelong) campus in Trimester 2 from 2017.
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne)|
(Only available to students enrolled in an Arts or Arts combined course)
|Unit chair:||P Pound|
ACI201 or ACM207
1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week
Photography was born through the unification of art and science. It has a rich history of experimentation, serendipity, subversive and synthetic approaches to the medium and its content.
This unit encourages students to reflect upon the process of experimentation within creative practice and its implications with respect to aesthetics, style and content. Avant-garde and experimental photography and the convergence of photography (both analogue and digital) with other mediums such as painting, sculpture, installation and sound will be investigated in both a historical and contemporary international and Australian context.
Students will undertake an in depth experimental investigation during the production of a substantial creative work.
Topics in this unit include:
- the history of avant-garde and experimental photography
- the convergence of photography and other mediums in both a historical and contemporary context
- review in Australian and international contemporary experimental photographic practice
- the desire for the cutting edge: experimental art and the individual practitioners desire for originality and style in a Modern and Post-Modern context.
Preliminary project 20%
Research paper 1000 words 20%
Major project 1: 1 tutorial, 10 – 15 images and 500 words 60%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.