AIM714 - Cultural Landscapes
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||K Buckley|
Note:You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
This unit will familiarise students with the concept of cultural landscapes which is a key framework for heritage assessment and management. The unit will develop student skills in identifying a cultural landscape, their heritage features, assessing their cultural significance and building management plans that reconcile and conserve the diverse heritage values found in cultural landscapes. The unit will also provide students with a sound theoretical understanding of the history of the concept of a cultural landscape and how this informs current approaches to identifying and recording cultural and natural values. Through a series of case studies from Australia and the Asia Pacific region, students will gain an understanding of culturally diverse approaches to managing landscapes and the ways in which socio-cultural issues affect their conservation.
- What is a cultural landscape?
- The concept of landscape
- Issues in identifying heritage values in a landscape
- From the site to the landscape
- Interpreting sites in landscapes
- Reconciling cultural and natural values
- Diverse heritage values in landscapes
- Thematic approaches to cultural landscapes
- Rural and agricultural landscapes
- Industrial landscapes
- Pre-colonial and colonial landscapes
Two Assignments totalling 4500 words, 50% and 40%; and on-line class participation, 10% (3 posts totalling 500 words)
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.