ALW117 - Writing for Professional Practice
(B, G, W, X)
|Unit chair:||K Le Rossignol|
Online teaching methods require internet access. Please refer to the most current computer specifications.
ContentThis unit enables students to strengthen their skills in persuasive writing, research and presenting. Students will explore the power of language and the characteristics of effective and ineffective writing; the relationships between written and spoken language; strategies for developing arguments; and the requirements of a range of types of writing including reports, letters, academic essays, summaries, media releases and persuasive writing. The unit will support students in their written and oral tasks in other subject areas, as well as providing them with workplace-oriented skills that will enhance their performance in professional writing fields. Students will participate in a hypothetical scenario. They will be required to employ different forms of writing and oral communication to tackle issues that arise from this scenario.
1. Research essay 1500 words 40% (including Essay 1250 words 30% and Annotated Bibliography 250 words 10%)
2. Evaluative Report 1000 words 20%
3. Persuasive writing folio 1250 words 30%
4. Reading Analysis in class 5-7 mins or online 250 words 10%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.