ECE113 - Young Children's Mathematical Development
|Year||2015 unit information|
Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool
|Unit chair:||B Doig|
Students must be enrolled in course E330
Burwood: 1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week.
Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool: Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin. Students are also required to attend 3 x 3 hour intensives.
This unit supports students in building young children’s mathematical concepts and thinking by developing students own understanding of the concepts underpinning mathematics. It will explore teaching and assessment strategies for developing mathematical understanding in children from birth through the early childhood years. Students will participate in practical work and work in professional settings to enable them to create engaging and effective mathematical learning environments for all children in prior-to-school settings.
The content of this unit includes:
- Why teach mathematics?
- Theorists of early childhood learning of mathematics (including Montessori, Vygotsky);
- Research in early childhood: findings, and implications for practice;
- The Early Years Frameworks, Victorian and National and International teaching;
- How children develop their mathematics from infancy
- Promoting the key mathematical foundations for 0-8 and later success;
- Play as a basis for learning mathematics;
- Relating mathematics to the child’s world: engaging parental support;
- Identifying and providing learning opportunities for children;
- Inclusive practice; strategies and adaptations to enhance every child’s learning;
- Assessment and reporting: the role of observations, interviews, and formal assessments; and
- ICT skills for teachers, including the selection and use of software for, and with, pre-school children.
Task 1, 2000 words, 50%
Task 2, 2000 words, 50%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.