ECE220 - Science 1: Science and Environmental Awareness for Young Children
|Year||2015 unit information|
Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool
|Unit chair:||C Campbell|
Must have passed 5 credit points at level 1 for students enrolled in course E330 only.
Students must be enrolled in course E330
Burwood: 1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week.
Professional experience: Students will be required to attend a 5 day teaching practicum.
Learning experiences are also via CloudDeakin.
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The content is organised around key science concepts cognitively appropriate for babies, toddlers and pre-school children. A range of issues are addressed:
- Science understandings relevant to the early childhood settings;
- The nature of science and its relationship to society and the environment;
- The nature of learning in science and the environment; teaching approaches and strategies for linking science with the other curriculum areas;
- Assessing children's understandings;
- Contemporary issues in curriculum provision and the teaching of science and the environment through play.
Aspects of science that are relevant to early childhood and primary educators are presented - for example, investigation of living things, materials, properties of water, air, electricity and magnetism, light, sound. Environmental concepts are integrated throughout the program. This unit will identify teaching approaches and strategies for supporting learning in early childhood settings. It will demonstrate, through practical activities applied through play, how young children develop their scientific and environmental understandings.
Task 1: Portfolio activities, 20%, equivalent 800 words
Task 2: Probing children's understandings, 30%, 1200 words
Task 3: Research activity and report, 50%, 2000 words
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.