ECE360 - Critical Issues in Safety and Child Protection
|Year||2015 unit information|
Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool
Trimester 3: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool
|Unit chair:||L Laskey|
Students must be enrolled in course E330
Burwood: 1 x 3 hour Seminar per week, learning experiences are also via CloudDeakin.
Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool: Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin. Students are also required to attend a 3 day intensive.
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
In this unit, students will be introduced to relevant legislation, policies and practices essential to securing children's safety, with children's rights and professional ethics forming a conceptual framework. Child maltreatment and child protection will provide a major focus together with appropriate responses via policies, ethical practices, statutory requirements and preventive curriculum work. Attendant professional roles and obligations will be considered. Key topics include:
- Children's rights and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child;
- Australian Early Childhood Association's Code of Ethics: professional implications;
- Child maltreatment and its impact on child development, e.g. trauma and learning;
- Professional and legal responsibilities for notification and support;
- Types of child maltreatment, their dynamics, and availability of community resources;
- Indicators of the various types of child abuse; supportive handling of disclosures of abuse, responding appropriately via child abuse prevention; policy, protocols and personal safety teaching.
Task 1: Response to scenarios (or field based investigations of EC practice) relating to children's rights, ethical practice and safety, 40%, 1600 words
Task 2: Case study of child maltreatment, 50%, 2000 words
Task 3: Participation, 10%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.