ECE455 - Effective Primary Mathematics Learning
|Year||2017 unit information|
Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool
Students must be enrolled in course E330
Burwood: 1 x 3 hour Seminar per week.
Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool: Students are required to attend 3 x 3 hour intensives.
Learning experiences are also via CloudDeakin.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- children’s construction of mathematical concepts in the social environment of the home, classroom and wider community;
- the role of play in mathematical development;
- the development of children’s early mathematical concepts;
- the four operations for whole numbers;
- fundamental concepts of vulgar fractions;
- the development of concepts for the measurement of length, area, mass, time, and volume/capacity;
- choosing and using effective resources for learning primary mathematics;
- the use of calculators in primary mathematics;
- involving parents in children’s learning of mathematics;
- appropriate ways of incorporating the use of a range of learning technologies in the teaching of primary mathematics;
- assessing and reporting children’s mathematical development; and
- state, national and international policies, programmes, and resources for developing and assessing children’s mathematical development.
Assignment 1, 30%, equivalent to 1200 words
Assignment 2, 30%, equivalent to 1200 words
Assignment 3, 40%, equivalent to 1600 words
Unit Fee Information
Unit fee information available soon