ECJ723 - Applied Learning in the Postcompulsory Education and Training Sector
|Year||2016 unit information|
Applied Learning units not available to E760 students.
Trimester 2: Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
For students enrolled in course E690, E740, E760 and E770 only
|Unit chair:||T Ollis|
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Students are also required to attend 36 hours of intensive seminars.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- Adult learning principles and the young adult learner
- Teaching and learning for vocational outcomes – careers, pathways and the post-compulsory curriculum
- Vocational learning curriculum designs and frameworks available in the post-compulsory sector
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) and the National Training System
- Certificate of General Education for Adults
- Enterprise based and vocational learning in the post-compulsory sector
- An exploration of assessment and reporting strategies appropriate to a post-compulsory applied learning environment integrating youth literacy and numeracy enhancement programs into vocational learning courses
Vocational Unit of Work 50%
In consultation with VCAL colleagues from educational institutions, community-based organisations or industry and, drawing where appropriate, from your own specialist teaching area/s, plan a vocationally based unit of work (of approximately 4 weeks duration) which will meet requirements of selected units from either the VCAL Work Related Skills strand or VCAL Industry Specific Skills strands. Your unit of work must meet all accreditation and quality requirements for delivery within an education institution (secondary school, TAFE Institute, ACE provider, other Registered Training Organisation or education provider). 2500 words .
Assignment 2: Action Research Project 50%
In consultation with post-compulsory education providers, and working in study groups of 2 - 3, student teachers will collaboratively develop a proposal for an action research project to investigate and contribute to a specific issue related to teaching for vocational learning in the post-compulsory sector. The project should be integrated with your professional teaching experience placements or the teaching component of Assignment 1 above. The issues you explore might investigate professional challenges or dilemmas that you have encountered during your pre-service training, or they might relate to broader issues you may experience as a beginning teacher 2500 words
Unit Fee Information
All Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), fee paying undergraduate and pre-2016 commencing students
Unit fee information available soon
2016 commencing International and full fee paying postgraduate domestic students
Your units are priced based on the course you are enrolled in. Please refer to the current year's course entry to estimate the unit cost.
You can calculate the cost of each unit by using the following calculation:
Course fee x unit EFTSL value = unit price