ECJ723 - Applied Learning in the Postcompulsory Education and Training Sector
|Year||2015 unit information|
Applied Learning units not available to E760 students.
Trimester 2: Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
(For students enrolled in course E690, E740 and E760 only)
|Unit chair:||C Schulz|
ECA551, ECJ411, ECL400, ELE501
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Students are also required to attend 36 hours of intensive seminars.
• Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
• Adult learning principles and the young adult learner
• Teaching and learning for vocational outcomes – careers, pathways and the post-compulsory curriculum
• Vocational learning curriculum designs and frameworks available in the post-compulsory sector:
• Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
• Vocational Education and Training (VET) and the National Training System;
• Certificate of General Education for Adults
• Enterprise based and vocational learning in the post-compulsory sector
• An exploration of assessment and reporting strategies appropriate to a post-compulsory applied learning environment integrating youth literacy and numeracy enhancement programs into vocational learning courses.
Vocational Unit of Work 50%
In consultation with VCAL colleagues from educational institutions, community-based organisations or industry and, drawing where appropriate, from your own specialist teaching area/s, plan a vocationally based unit of work (of approximately 4 weeks duration) which will meet requirements of selected units from either the VCAL Work Related Skills strand or VCAL Industry Specific Skills strands. Your unit of work must meet all accreditation and quality requirements for delivery within an education institution (secondary school, TAFE Institute, ACE provider, other Registered Training Organisation or education provider). 2500 words .
Assignment 2: Action Research Project 50%
In consultation with post-compulsory education providers, and working in study groups of 2 - 3, student teachers will collaboratively develop a proposal for an action research project to investigate and contribute to a specific issue related to teaching for vocational learning in the post-compulsory sector. The project should be integrated with your professional teaching experience placements or the teaching component of Assignment 1 above. The issues you explore might investigate professional challenges or dilemmas that you have encountered during your pre-service training, or they might relate to broader issues you may experience as a beginning teacher 2500 words
You will need to have a copy of the following curriculum resource, which can be downloaded from the VCAA site at http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vcal/Publications/Publications/VCAL_CPG_Wk_rel_skills.pdf
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority 2007, Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning Curriculum Planning Guide: Industry Specific Skills Strand and Work Related Skills Strand, VCAA, Victoria.
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority 2005, VCAL Curriculum Planning Guide Personal Development Skills Strand, VCAA, Victoria.
Marsh, C 2008, Becoming a Teacher, 4th edn, Pearson Education, Frenchs Forest, Australia.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.