- Study at Deakin
- Life at Deakin
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
Trimester 2: Cloud (online)
Trimester 3: Burwood (Melbourne)
|Unit chair:||R Neilsen|
|Incompatible with:||ECL713, ECL714|
Campus based students: 3 hours of seminars per week.
On completion of the unit students should be able to:
Summarise key issues concerning the teaching and learning of grammar;
Analyze structure of spoken and written samples of their target language at all levels of language;
Highlight linguistic features of texts for teaching purposes, and justify their choice; and
Demonstrate the ability to assess the language ability of ESL/EFL learners at different levels of proficiency and monitor their development through stages.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
• Approaches to the description of language for teaching purposes;
• Language structure and language function
• Words: their formation and meanings, and teaching and learning vocabulary;
• The study of syntax (structure of groups/phrases, clauses and clause complexes), cohesive devices, thematic development, morphology and phonology;
• The teaching of linguistic features in context;
• Description of thematic development of texts and using it to the evaluation of language learners’ texts.
• Analysis of learner interlanguage for diagnostic and teaching purposes.
Analysis essay including analysis of learner written text sample and a discussion of the analytic tools used (3000 words equivalent - 50%).
Case study of a language learner including analysis of spoken language sample (3000 words equivalent – 50%).
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.