ECL774 - Learning An Additional Language
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||Z Golebiowski|
Campus: 1 x 3 hour Seminar per week.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Study school program at Burwood (Melbourne) campus for Cloud (online) enrolled students subject to demand. Campus based version subject to demand.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- error analysis, contrastive analysis and learner language: how the acquired language is studied
- relationship between first and additional language acquisition
- foreign language learning cf. Second language acquisition
- learner variability: Features of the learner (cognitive structure, attitude, age, motivation/engagement, goals, aptitude) which may influence acquisition
- silent period and language production
- cognitive effects of second language acquisition
- features of the sociocultural context of language learning that may influence acquisition
- the experience of language immersion
- features of the second language classroom that may influence acquisition, including feedback, noticing, teacher role, learning strategies
Assignment 1: Learning log 50% (2,500 words)
Assignment 2: Analysis of classroom lesson from language acquisition perspective 50% (2,500 words)
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.