EEC711 - The Teacher as Professional Educator
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
|Cohort rule:||(For students enrolled in course E665 only)|
|Unit chair:||J Angwin|
3 hours per week.
The unit will be organised around the following:
- development of understanding of self as a professional;
- exploration of the meaning of professionalism in practice;
- practice of interpersonal and professional communication skills;
- exploration of issues of ethical practice, collegiality, inclusivity and social justice;
- critical awareness of links and mismatches between social and economic policies and schooling;
- development of knowledge of current educational policy and forms of governance and its relationship to professional practice and school policy;
- knowledge of how the discipline areas work together in learning; and
- development of understanding of planning in a collegial, whole school community, and system context.
Task 1: Statement of educational philosophy. Students reflect upon their educational philosophy and the influences that have helped mould that philosophy. They then develop a succinct statement of their educational philosophy that captures the essence of their reflections in a format suitable for incorporation in their professional portfolio. (2000 words or equivalent – 40%)
Task 2: Professional Portfolio. In response to expectations the profession has of the capabilities of beginning teachers, students research, collect and rationalise data for their professional portfolio. They then develop a stand-alone portfolio presentation. (3000 -4000 words or equivalent – 60%)
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.