EEH455 - Approaches to Teaching Health and Physical Education
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne)|
Students must be enrolled in course E377
|Unit chair:||K Moncrieff|
EEH201 and EPP203 for students who commenced E377 course from 2011.
ESH404 for students who commenced E377 course prior to 2011.
1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week.
Students are required to participate as a mentor which requires a two hour mentoring/professional development session as required during five weeks of trimester.
This unit will address topics including:
- learner attitudes, needs and motivations for engaging in school based health and physical education (HPE).
- Further examination of the three learning domains as they apply to HPE
- components of effective teaching of HPE from Years 5-12 including planning and assessment
- critical reflection upon past and present notions of effective teaching and the comparison of these to a models based approach
- the thorough investigation of several approaches to teaching HPE through participation in practical seminars and engaging with new HPE content
- an examination of the role of reflective practice and personal evaluation to their own teaching and recognition of their own development through the mentoring of junior colleagues
- the opportunity to experience designing and implementing a unit of work based upon a selected pedagogical approach to teaching.
Assessment 1 (1000 words)- 30 %. Students are required to compile a journal across this unit. The journal will be a collection of notes, answers, ideas, artefacts and reflections of various approaches to teaching HPE, their own teaching and the peer mentoring experience.
Assessment 2 Part 1 30% - This task will require students to identify two instructional models/ teaching approaches used in HPE. They will critique various perspectives of the two approaches as presented through the literature to identify the merits, limitations and potential applications of their selected teaching approach/pedagogical model.
Assessment 2 Part 2 40 % - Students will develop a unit of work and resource kit based on one of these researched approaches to teaching suitable for one identified student cohort. (2000 word total – part 1 & 2)
Texts Metzler, M (2011) Instructional Models for Physical Education Third Edition Holcombe Hathaway Arizona.
Meldrum & Peters (2010) Learning to teach health and physical education.
Pearson Breed,R. & Spittle,M (2011) Developing Gamesense Through Tactical Learning Cambridge.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.