EEI716 - Practicum: Special Educational Needs
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||W Kortman|
|Prerequisite:||Approved teaching qualification|
(For students enrolled in course E734 or E744SP)
Practicum: Students will be required to complete a 15 day teaching practicum. Students who are currently teaching may complete 15 days in their own setting if supervised by a specialist educator. However, Deakin encourages students to complete a maximum of 5 days in an alternative setting to their normal workplace if possible.
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
The content of this unit centres on the ability of students to facilitate an optimum learning environment for individual students with diverse learning needs within both whole school and classroom contexts. Students need to demonstrate an understanding of key educational and social goals for individual learners and plan accordingly utilising existing skills and strengths of individual learners.
This will include:
- Planning and implementation of the required educational program that will ensure access and success;
- Provision of a positive learning environment for all students that is strength based and inclusive;
- Demonstrate forward-thinking ability to increase the participation of students in the educational programs and social life of the school;
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of teaching models and strategies that will contribute to quality teaching and learning;
- Utilise skills to evaluate the student programs and outcomes.
Students must complete a minimum of 15 days of supervised practicum.
1. Practicum 50%. A 15 day special education practicum assessed by the supervising teacher that incorporates: skilled planning and preparation relating to curriculum knowledge, strategies and evaluation for ongoing planning; effective classroom management and communication skills; the development of a positive learning environment meeting individual student needs within an inclusive environment and professional interaction within the school community.
2. Reflective Journal 50%. Submission of a reflective journal outlining participants own role and an evaluation of their own practice demonstrating: knowledge of the educational and social goals for each student; ability to facilitate an optimum learning environment for each individual student through the identification and analysis of existing skills and strengths for ongoing planning; skill to determine appropriate curriculum and strength based strategies for individual learners that will promote success and positive, inclusive learning environments; demonstrate ability to increase the participation of students in the educational and social life of the school; skills to evaluate programs and student outcomes by reflecting on their own professional practice and planning and liaison with all key stakeholders in support teachers.
HURDLE REQUIREMENTS FOR E744SP STUDENTS ONLY
Completion and documentation of 2 days of professional development relating to the Practicum Case Study.
Students who fail a hurdle requirement will be ineligible for a Pass Conceded grade for that unit and will receive a result of no more than 44% for that unit, waived under special consideration arrangements.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.