EEJ735 - Teachers and Youth Literacy and Numeracy Engagement
|Year||2015 unit information|
Trimester 2 Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
|Cohort rule:||(For students enrolled in course E690 only)|
|Unit chair:||K Tobin|
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin. Students are also required to attend two 2 days intensives in July and Oct at Waurn Ponds (Geelong) Campus. (Six hours per day)
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- Vocational learning curriculum designs and frameworks available in the post-compulsory sector: Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL), Literacy and Numeracy Skills Strand
- Certificates of General Education for Adults
- Understanding the learner with literacy/numeracy skills development needs:
- factors that contribute to low literacy and numeracy levels in adolescents and young adults;
- strategies to support students with under-developed literacy and numeracy skills;
- integrating youth literacy and numeracy enhancement programs into vocational learning courses.
- A frame of reference for teachers to meet their own literacy, numeracy and technology learning needs for the teaching workplace.
Literacy and Numeracy Folio 40%
Part 1: Folio Development-Develop a personal folio of work based on the VCAL Literacy and Numeracy assessment criteria
Part 2: Analysis of Teaching Competence - Analyse your own competence in relation to teaching within the VCAL Literacy and Numeracy strand and prepare an ongoing self-education plan.
Literacy and Numeracy Analysis and Research 60 %
Part 1: Analysis - Analyse the literacy and/or numeracy components in selected units of work from your specialist teaching areas
Part 2: One of the following:
Research Option: Undertake a research project exploring a range of issues associated with literacy and numeracy skills in young people OR
Resource Production Option: Produce a resource which will be of value in supporting literacy and/or numeracy development among young people.
Victorian Qualifications Authority 2003, Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning Curriculum Planning Guide: VCAL Literacy and Numeracy Skills Strand, Victorian Qualifications Authority, Victoria.
Burnett, BM, Tait, GW, Meadmore, DA 2004, New Questions For Contemporary Teachers, Pearson Education, Frenchs Forest, Australia.
Marsh, C 2008, Becoming a Teacher, 4th edn, Pearson Education, Frenchs Forest, Australia.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.