EES345 - Primary Science Education 1
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Warrnambool, Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
|Unit chair:||P White|
G Chittleborough (Burwood (Melbourne))
L Hobbs (Waurn Ponds (Geelong))
S Herbert (Warrnambool)
Students must have passed 12 credit points including 4 credit points at level 2.
This unit is only available to students who commenced in course E359 from 2012.
1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week
This unit introduces students to contemporary principles and issues in the teaching of science, and extends their understandings and critical appreciation of science and its importance in primary school education. The unit will consist of content sequences designed to support students learning to clarify their own understandings of the nature of science and their own dispositions towards science learning, and to plan and implement effective teaching sequences. Engagement with children in small group teaching situations will occur at points designed to support and extend their understandings and skills in planning and teaching science.
The content will include:
- Key concepts in science drawn from physical, chemical, biological and earth sciences; investigative processes in science; and approaches to supporting students learn these concepts at different stages of primary schooling.
- Components of contemporary Australian science curricula and how these can be interwoven to design activity sequences that lead to quality learning in science.
- Science for a sustainable future; socially responsible scientific literacy; science-society-technology-environment interactions.
- Contemporary theories of learning in science including constructivist and conceptual change perspectives; the role of representation and modeling; scientific reasoning; and the nature of science.
50% Seminar Assignment - 2000 words (individual)
- 30% Seminar Tasks - 1600 words
- 20% Online Quiz - equivalent 400 words
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.