- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Unit chair:||K Hutchison|
K Hutchison (B), M Wells (X)
Must be enrolled in course E760.
EEL745, ECL400, ECL500
3 hours per week or equivalent
Online teaching methods require internet access. Please refer to the most current computer specifications.
• Stages and dimensions of reading and writing development
• Word identification strategies and cueing systems
• Development of grammar, punctuation and text types in students’ writing
• Development of spelling and handwriting skills
• Development of comprehension and critical reading skills
• Assessment of literacy development
• Planning lessons based on modelled, shared and guided literacy teaching approaches
• Researching and building on the diverse types of knowledge about literacy that students bring to school from their homes and communities
• Victorian and other relevant national and international curriculum frameworks
Profile 50% - Evidence-based assessment profile of a student's reading and writing ability, together with linked learning goals (2500 words)
Planning and teaching 50% - plans for a sequence of reading and writing sessions, together with reflection on short video excerpts of practice teaching of some sessions (2500 words).
Faculty of Education Deakin University 2008, Literacy: the early years (EDU0046UD1) CD ROM, Faculty of Education, Deakin University, Geelong.
Faculty of Education, Deakin University, 2006, Language and literacy: the middle years (ECL500SD1) CD ROM Faculty of Education, Deakin University, Geelong.
Hill, S 2006, Developing early literacy: assessment and teaching, Eleanor Curtin, Prahran, Vic.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.