EPP207 - Pedagogy
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne)|
Students must be enrolled in course D347 or D351
|Unit chair:||A Leve|
EPP101 or EPP102
1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week
Practicum: Students will be required to complete a 10 day teaching practicum.
This is the third of the six units in the education studies major. In this unit students will inquire into pedagogy and its relation to curriculum and education. Therefore there will be an engagement with the philosophical, social and ethical aspects relating to intervening in the lives of individual learners. Students will use the broader issues and discourses raised in previous units to inform an articulation of a professional perspective of pedagogy and to be able to justify this in relation to the curriculum and discourse of education. Some contested interpretations of pedagogy will be explored and critiqued.
This unit includes 10 days professional experience - paired placement. During these days the preservice teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment.
- in pairs and with supervisor, team teach at least two lessons a day for a class, small groups of students or with individuals.
- attend meetings, be involved in yard duty, school activities and any opportunities for engagement with the broader school community.
- keep a journal (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations, collected documents, participation in school activities and reflections are kept. Pre-service teachers will be expected to share their journal with their supervising teachers and appropriate University teaching staff.
Critical Inquiry Assignment 60%
Hurdle Requirement: Assessing the professional experience
For students enrolled in School of Education courses, the professional experience component is assessed primarily by the class-based teacher who advises the Unit Chair. Satisfactory completion of the Professional Experience component is compulsory in order for the student to progress.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.